Thursday, August 5, 2010

Party like it's 1959

This blog is named after the main characters in two wonderful movies: John T. Chance in Rio Bravo and Roger O. Thornhill in North by Northwest. It exists mainly for my own amusement and its purpose is to list and possibly comment on the films I watch. Peter von Bagh I am not, nor do I attempt to be.

Hawks and Hitchcock are among my favorite directors and these two films would be on my desert island list any day of the week. In addition to being released in 1959, they share other traits. Both are fairly long but feel shorter and light-footed. Both heroes have a middle initial and are played by men in their 50s. I don't remember if the T stands for something, but Cary Grant says the O stands for nothing. Both men romance incredibly sexy women who are much younger than them, but this is hardly unique in movies. Both have been released as fine DVDs. And like I said, both are among my best-loved films, and Rio Bravo holds the (small) honor of being the movie I've seen more often than any other. I cannot remember how often anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment