Saturday, August 7, 2010

Best drinking couple on film?

To kick off the weekend in a relaxed manner I watched The Thin Man, which I had heard would work for the purpose. It did so beyond my expectations - the only problem was that I forgot to pour myself a drink. Maybe I'll do it now!

William Powell is Nick and Myrna Loy is Nora. They are married and they drink a lot. It's fantasy-land drinking that looks impossibly cool and has few adverse effects on anyone, which may or may not have something to do with the Prohibition having just ended when the film was made. There are also some murders to solve, but the mystery is secondary to snappy banter and some great supporting characters. It ends with a traditional "collect all suspects together" dinner and I didn't guess who the killer was. Loy and Powell are a wonderful, natural comedic pair who made many movies together - having seen this, I'd like to check out some of the others.

I think I'll have just one nightcap.

No comments:

Post a Comment