Thursday, August 5, 2010

It started with a red dawn

This whole idea originated a couple of weeks ago when my summer holiday was ending and I decided to watch movies that were somehow thematically linked. The first batch was an 80s day, during which I saw Red Dawn, Highlander, Romancing the Stone, and Sixteen Candles (which I actually had never seen and enjoyed greatly).

Red Dawn had some pretty nice replica Soviet vehicles, including a T-72 that looked so good the CIA got interested. Physical effects, models, and actual moving vehicles always have more charm than CGI. And the Finnish Jatimatic SMG made an appearance; I guess it was more popular in Hollywood than in real life. Highlander had unconvincing swordfights, wooden Christopher Lambert, flamboyant Sean Connery, and Queen. Somehow it still more or less worked. Romancing the Stone was no Raiders of the Lost Ark then or now, but mostly entertaining nevertheless and Kathleen Turner was smoking hot.

As I said at the time: truly, a decade among decades!

No comments:

Post a Comment