Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The MacLean curse

I've heard fans of Stephen King complaining that his books always get butchered in film adaptations. But it doesn't take too much effort to name half a dozen that are pretty good. Poor Alistair MacLean on the other hand was really unlucky. I've seen roughly half of his movie output, and Where Eagles Dare is the only one I can say I liked.

Case in point: The Guns of Navarone, which I watched yesterday. Even as a teenager it wasn't one of my favorites, and now it seems old-fashioned in the worst way. Too long, too plodding, poorly directed action sequences, and good actors in roles that would've needed younger men. The Germans tool around in authentic American WWII vehicles, but this was pretty much the norm in older war movies. On the plus side I count some nice Greek scenery and the fleeting appearance of a Catalina flying boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment