Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Film people on paper

In a previous post, I listed my general film books. This time it's all about people who make the movies. I guess I'll organize this according to the number of books I have on each person. It isn't a long list.

Alfred Hitchcock

I've got John Russell Taylor's Hitch: The Life and Times of Alfred Hitchcock (1978; the Finnish translation is called Hitchcock: elämä ja elokuvat), Charlotte Chandler's It's Only a Movie: Alfred Hitchcock, A Personal Biography (2005; translated as Se on vain elokuvaa: Alfred Hitchcockin elämäkerta), and one encyclopedia-style book, Howard Maxford's The A-Z of Hitchcock: The Ultimate Reference Guide (2002).

Audrey Hepburn

There's Donald Spoto's Enchantment: The Life of Audrey Hepburn (2006) and her son Sean Hepburn Ferrer's Audrey Hepburn, An Elegant Spirit: A Son Remembers (2003).

Ingrid Bergman

Only one: another book by Mr Spoto, called Notorious: The Life of Ingrid Bergman (1997; translated as Ingrid Bergman).

Humphrey Bogart

Another translation: Bogart by A.M. Sperber and Eric Lax (1997; known as Humphrey Bogart: Elämä ja elokuvat in Finnish).

Howard Hawks

I have Joseph McBride's Hawks on Hawks (1982; translated with the same name).

Other

Today on my way home from work I came across Peter von Bagh's Tähtien kirja (2006) for a decent price, which I might as well list here since it discusses numerous film stars from the silent era to the present.

1 comment:

  1. I knew I would forget something: added Bogart to the list.

    ReplyDelete