Sunday, January 16, 2011

I had avoided it this far...

But now I have seen Gone with the Wind. Knowing little about it except the general idea, I was surprised how unsympathetic the two main characters frequently were for such a beloved story. Being the losing side in a war was also described more harshly than I expected. The portrayal of slavery was a rather idealized version of what happened, but I guess you couldn't show everything in 1939. Maybe the film is just being faithful to the novel in this respect, I don't know.

What struck me most was how beautiful the movie was. The 70th anniversary restored DVD version is a sight to behold. It was one of the most expensive films ever made at the time, and it shows.

I am happy that I took the time to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment